The 2026 Winter Olympics officially known as the XXIV Olympic Winter Games (XXV Giochi olimpici invernali) is a planned major international sports event that is scheduled to be held from 6 - 22 February 2026 in the Italian cities of Milan and Cortina d'Ampezzo. The election was held on 24 June 2019 at the 134th International Olympic Committee (IOC) Session in Lausanne, Switzerland, home of the IOC headquarters. Milan–Cortina d'Ampezzo was elected at 134th IOC Session in Lausanne, Switzerland, on 24 June 2019. Milan-Cortina beating Stockholm–Åre.
The 2026 Winter Olympics will be the fourth Olympic Games hosted in Italy. and the first Olympic Games hosted by Milan. It will mark the 20th anniversary of the 2006 Winter Olympics in Turin and the 70th anniversary of the 1956 Winter Olympics in Cortina d'Ampezzo. This is the first Olympic Games with two host cities in its name.
The bidding calendar was announced by the IOC in October 2017, with the application deadline set for 8 March 2018.
The IOC Executive Board reviewed the bids from all applicant cities on 9 October 2018, and selected Calgary (Canada), Milan-Cortina (Italy) and Stockholm-Åre (Sweden) as the final candidate cities. Calgary withdrew its bid on 19 November 2018, leaving Milan-Cortina and Stockholm-Åre as the two remaining candidates.
Milan-Cortina was selected as host city of the 2026 Winter Olympics after beating Stockholm-Åre by 13 votes on 24 June 2019 at the 134th IOC Session in Lausanne, Switzerland.
|Voting results for the 2026 Winter Olympic Games|
- San Siro Stadium – opening ceremony
- Mediolanum Forum – figure skating, short track
- PalaItalia Santa Giulia – main ice hockey venue (planned despite the games)
- PalaLido – second ice hockey venue
- Piazza del Duomo, Milan - Medal Plaza
- Stelvio slope, Bormio – alpine skiing
- Mottolino/Sitas - Tagliede/Carosello 3000, Livigno – snowboarding, freestyle skiing
- Olimpia delle Tofane slope, Cortina d'Ampezzo – alpine skiing (technical resort is in construction for [FIS Alpine World Ski Championships 2021)
- Pista Eugenio Monti, Cortina – bobsleigh, luge and skeleton (modernisation and lighting works)
- Stadio Olimpico Del Ghiaccio, Cortina – curling
- Südtirol Arena, Rasen-Antholz – biathlon
Val di Fiemme Cluster
- Trampolino Giuseppe Dal Ben|Stadio del salto "Giuseppe Dal Ben", Predazzo – ski jumping, nordic combined (wind net required)
- Lago di Tesero Cross Country Stadium, Tesero – cross-country skiing, nordic combined
- Ice Rink Piné, Baselga di Piné – speed skating (venue to be rebuilt)
- Verona Arena – closing ceremony
The 2026 Winter Olympics are tentatively scheduled to include events in at least 15 sports, with the introduction of Ski Mountaineering.
- Logos - Olympic Logos
|Winter Olympic Games
XXXIII Olympiad (2026)